Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bookmark

IT TAKES A LIFE”

Show

Decorative Works

Oil and Acrylic

For Sale


A Portion of the proceeds to go to

OPIRG BROCK


RECEPTION

At the OPIRG BROCK InfoShop (downtown St. Catharines)

7:00pm to 9:00pm

April 29th, 2011


--and hanging for the month of May


OPIRG Brock InfoShop, 10 Summer Street,
downtown St. Catharines, Ontario

Google the map and directions



IT TAKES A LIFE

Paintings by J. A. Lepp

A collection of decorative works that might have been called The Living Room. Like children they have been a part of my living room for long enough. Time for them to find other people's living rooms to inhabit. I mean that rooms live. That rooms have life all their own. Which sounds cliche to me. But I think that paintings are a large part of that. So, it takes a life to see a painting. This is how I would rather start. It takes a life. Especially looking at paintings that change with the light and the seasons—even the epochs. Paintings that grow up. Paintings that don't. So, I agree with the statement, “Paintings educate sight.” Some do and some don't. Furthermore, sight is discursive. A painting can make you say more that you can. Or more than you think you can. Several paintings can be like a sound argument. Perhaps a symphony. So, certainly, painting is a large part of my life that is in a way like the way painting is a part of any of our lives. I would like to think that each of my paintings is more of what there is to say. That is, if there is room.


No comments:

Post a Comment