Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Rural Cast and other paintings

"Daisies" the corner of Scott St. and McNab Rd. Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
Acrylic on Styrofoam
50 cm x 120 cm


"Tiger Lilies" by the roadside, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
Acrylic on Styrofoam
50cm x 120 cm

"Hoes" McNab Rd. vineyard, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
Acrylic on canvas
60 cm x 42 cm

"Status" Lake Erie at Long Beach, Wainfleet, Ontario
Acrylic on canvas
60cm x 42cm

"Approaching Dusk" Rodman Hall, St. Catharines, Ontario
Acrylic on canvas
77cm x 51cm

This is a painting of a footpath behind Rodman Hall, in St. Catharines, Ontario, that is probably as old as the gallery itself established midtwentieth century. My mum says that I met one of the Group of 7 at Rodman Hall, A. J. Casson, though I can't quite remember him. What I remember is wanting to get outside to those gravel trails that loop on the bank of the creek behind the gallery and a lot of running around.

I painted this nearly everyday, from November 25, 2009, the day I went there to make the first sketch, beginning that evening when I returned home, to some time in 2010, in the Spring, I think. I did not paint for several weeks in March and April.




"Poem 1"
Acrylic on canvas

The sketch for this painting was made in November, 2009. A friend helped plan the composition of this, the second painting from that sketch that I decided to make -- both titled "Poem" -- and her signature accompanies mine in the bottom right corner.

The poem written on the back is, in part--

Who would watch the windfall rot

And carry rot through Spring

This stump has once a summer's sway

Tender your ripe bust



"Late Harvest"
Acrylic on canvas

The sketch for this was made on November 11, 2009. I painted it shortly thereafter.

No comments:

Post a Comment